Monday, June 11, 2012

Delivering Bad News Tactfully and Effectively


Conflict is "a process that begins when someone perceives that someone else has negatively affected, or is about to negatively affect, something that the first person cares about" (O'Rourke, 2010, p. 298).  Conflict is never an easy thing to deal with.  However, it is a natural part of life and therefore, must be managed. 

Imagining that I am a department manager in a mid-sized company that provides technology support services, I have ten employees who are required to maintain a high level of technical expertise and deliver excellent customer service.  However, one of my employees, who has been with the company for two years, is performing at a substandard level and I have received numerous complaints from customers and coworkers.  In addition, this employee has displayed confrontational behavior that has created a hostile environment.  I must now meet with this employee and deliver an ultimatum regarding the need for immediate improvement or dismissal.

According to James O'Rourke, author of Management Communication, there are certain things you can do to wisely manage conflict.  In approaching my employee, I would certainly follow his advice.  O'Rourke says that it is important to "keep your own emotions neutral"  (O'Rourke, 2010, p. 304)  When speaking to an employee regarding their behavior, it is best to "communicate continually and frankly"  (O'Rourke, 2010, p. 304)  It is important to speak to the other person with respect, yet in a very straight forward way.  There must be no doubt as to your meaning after the conversation. 

In addition, be prepared to follow-up with the employee.  If changes are made and the employee complies with the request, then nothing else needs to be said on the subject.  However, if he does not, then you must be prepared to follow through with what you say.  I have also learned that when speaking to an employee regarding any negative issue, such as reprimanding, firing, or a job demotion, it is always a good idea to have another member of the management staff there as well.  This provides a witness and prevents the mishandling of the situation.  It also ensures that you cannot later be accused of handling the situation incorrectly.

In anticipating the employee's reaction, I would first have to consider the individual.  Since he has already been displaying a confrontational behavior that has created a hostile environment, it seems very likely that he would continue to do so once confronted.  I think it is best to expect the worse and hope for the best in this situation.  That does not mean to go into the meeting with a negative attitude, but to be prepared in case the employee does not take to well to being spoken to on the issue.  As O'Rourke also points out, sometimes it is best to "know when to cut your losses"  (O'Rourke, 2010, p. 305).

There are several techniques that may be needed in this situation.  First, I need to be prepared to break the cycle of escalation.  I need to address my employee with "nonjudgemental description, problem orientation, empathy, equality, and provisionalism"  (Abigail & Cahn, 2011, p. 114).  I also think letting my employee know that I value them, both as a person and an employee is important.  The idea is not to make them feel devalued, but rather to make them understand that their contribution to the organization is important.  However, they must also understand that in order for them to remain valuable they need to behave in a way that is appropriate. 

I hope that by addressing this employee in a frank, respectful, and nonjudgmental way, I can get my point across.  Ideally, that would be the end of the conflict.  However, knowing that tactfully and effectively addressing him may still result in anger.  I must still be prepared to follow through on my ultimatum.



References



Abigail, R. A., & Cahn, D. D. (2011). Managing Conflict Through Communication (4 ed.). Boston: Allyn & Bacon.



O'Rourke, J. S. (2010). MJanagement Communication, A Case-Analysis Approach. Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall.






No comments:

Post a Comment